Search This Blog

Friday 24 March 2017

New name, new look - Condire has been born

A lot has happened in the last year. So much so that this blog has not had the attention it deserved. Firstly the store that I had been working in for the last sixteen years, finally bowed to pressure and closed down. It was a great store and I had the best time working there.

Fast forward a year, we moved to the country. Peterborough.

It was a big move for us city folk, but we are adjusting well. The people are great, the food is fantastic. There is a brilliant butcher here called Mercer Meats that has the most mouthwatering bacon for sale. A really atmospheric eatery called, The Tinsmith's Cottage, where you can buy amazing coffees, treats, and old historic items. The Carter's Foodland has great produce and super nice staff. The Take 'A' Break café is a new age café, not only can you get the best hotdogs, you can pick up a salt lamp. Helen's Antique shop on Main Street has lots of nifty things to buy. Also, there is a cake maker, Donna's Delights that makes the most stunning cakes here.

I could go on for ages about how the great the town is, brilliant schools - St Joseph's School is a fantastic school and a supportive community. It is that community spirit that has inspired me to take my love of fresh homemade delights to a new level.

I have started making preserves again. There is something about jams that warms the soul. The brightness of the colour, the flavour of the fruit, the feeling of goodness as you lather it on your bread with smears of butter. Preserving your fruits and vegetables is something we can do to be more self sustainable. I don't know about you, but I hate food wastage. By preserving, you can help store your food better and have food safely kept in storage for the lean times. Not only that, but you can save a lot of money by growing a few vegetables, or planting a few fruit trees.

My new venture is called Condire, which is the Latin word for preserve/pickle season/flavour/render pleasant/give zest spice. My plan is to create harmonious flavoured jams and preserves that use locally sourced fruits/vegetables and herbs. I have a few fruit trees in my garden and I have been buying from the local shops as well. My vegetable garden is coming along with peas, beans, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, spinach ( We have only been here for a month) I have rosemary, sage, three different types of mint, lemon balm and loads more that I brought from Adelaide. I plan on using all this produce to make tasty goodies.

 
Now, I have a Spiced Fig jam, three Strawberry and Lime with a hint of Vanilla jams, and a Fig Chutney for sale at Helens Antique Shop for only $4.50 a jar. She is open on Thursdays and Fridays 9-1.  I plan on making more and am willing to take orders or suggestions. If by chance you have some fruit you'd like to get give away, I will make you a jar of jam for no cost.  My next lot of preserves is going to be Apple Sauce. Who here likes apple sauce. I do. What's not to like about the sweet, yet tart flavour that goes sooo well on a suckling pork roast.

Keep an eye out on future posts as I will be putting up charts, recipes and photos of my adventure with Condire. If you would like to contact me, please email arkadia13@hotmail.com or follow me on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...