Search This Blog

Saturday 1 December 2012

Oat Milk

I have recently discovered Oat Milk. I have always had an slight reaction to cows milk, it makes me want to throw up if I drink too much. When I get a cold, I can't have any milk products because it makes me too mucusy. I have tried Little A on cows milk in her porridge and weetabix and I think she has the same problem I do with milk, so I have been researching alternatives. I didn't want to use Soy Milk then I came across Oat Milk. It is fantastic! It has a slightly sweet flavour to it and the best thing is, if you don't like the commercial brand then you can make your own. Here is a quote from a website about the benefits of Oat Milk:
One of the advantages of oats over other grains is that it is the only grain to contain high levels of protein similar to those found in legumes. Studies have shown that oats have a protein quality similar to that found in soy beans, which are often considered to be the best protein source for vegetarians. Some studies, too, suggest that some oat cultivars are safe for consumption in a gluten free diet and can be used as a substitute for wheat by individuals with celiac disease. It is recommended, though, that this only be done after consultation with a qualified health care practitioner or if an oat or oat milk product is specified "gluten free."
Aside from protein, oat milk is said to contain 10 essential minerals and 15 vitamins. A single glass of oat milk can contain up to 35% of the United States RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of calcium, making it a particularly good milk substitute. Another benefit of oat milk is that it is a low fat alternative to milk, containing just 2.5 grams of fat and 0 grams of saturated fat per serving compared to milk's 8 grams of fat and 5 grams of saturated fat. It is also cholesterol free, whereas whole milk contains 24mg of cholesterol per serving.

 To make your own Oat Milk you need to boil 5 cups of water, add 1 cup of oats and simmer till cooked. Then blend throughly.

Thats all there is to it! How easy is that!

I am going to see how I can subsitute milk in other recipes like ice cream, rice pudding and more.It seems that Little A can tolerate this better than cows milk at the moment, which is fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...