Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Jam from Heaven - Plum with a hint of Chili

I was given a 2lt tub of plums last night so today I made some more jam for the cupboards as well as making Little A some food. Last plum season I made a really nice batch of plum jam but I wanted something a touch different for this seasons batch so I added a touch of chili paste. It tastes so good! Even Little A likes it.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

1.5kg plums, de seeded
1 large lemon, juiced
1 large apple, finely chopped
700g sugar *
1 1/2 tsp Thai Red Chili Paste
1 cup of water

Method:
  1. Place apples and water in deep pot and boil till apple is soft, topping up water if you have to. Then add plums, lemon juice, chili paste and bring to the boil.  (save lemon halves and put into the pot to boil)
  2. When plums are breaking up take pot off the heat, discard lemon halves and add the sugar. Stir till well combined and put back on the heat and boil.
  3. Stir frequently till the jam mixture has set (when it falls like sheets off a spoon back)
  4. Fill warm sterilised jam jars with mixture and let cool for a few hours. Jam can be eaten straight away.
 * The original recipe called for 1.2kg of sugar but I cut that in half and added the apple as I don't like too sweet jam. If you are a fan of really soul sucking sweetness, then add the orginal sugar and take out the apple :D

I hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...