Search This Blog

Sunday 19 January 2014

Peach and Strawberry Eggless Ice-Cream

I really wanted to make ice cream today. Only I was missing a few ingredients and I didn't want to go up to the shop to get them. What was I to do?? I could have waited (which I am not very good at doing) or I could go wild and make up a completely new and different recipe which I will now share with you.

I make ice cream a lot lately and I think that this one has been the best combination so far. I had no eggs and I can't handle a lot of milk products so I thought there must be a way to overcome these problems... and there was. Read on for one of the best ice cream recipes:


Ingredients:

1 cup coconut milk
1 cup lactose free milk (or you can sub normal milk, soy milk, oat milk etc)
4 tsp Arrowroot powder
1 1/4 cup of silken tofu ( or you can sub whipped cream)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbs syrup (honey, maple or golden)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cups sliced peaches
1 cup diced strawberries

Method:

To make tofu mixture

1)  Place silken tofu into a blender/food processor with a tsp of either sugar or syrup and wizz until the tofu is the consistancy of whipped cream. Place into a bowl and set aside in the fridge.

To make fruit mixture

1) Place peaches and strawberries into a blender/food processor and blend till you have a thick puree. Place into a bowl and set aside in the fridge.

To make the custard

1) Pour 3/4 cup of your milk into a bowl and mix in the arrowroot powder and mix to a paste. Set aside.
2) In a saucepan, mix remainder of both milks, sugar, salt, ground ginger, syrup and gently heat. 
3) When warm, add the arrowroot mixture and stir over a low heat till mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, pour into a metal bowl and place into the fridge till cold.

To make ice-cream

1) Take the custard, tofu and fruit out of the fridge. Set aside 1/4 cup of the fruit mixture and gently mix everything else together till thoroughly combined.
2) Place mixture into your ice-cream machine as per your machines instructions.
3) When it is the consistency of soft serve take out of the machine and place into a container. Layer the ice cream with the excess fruit mixture till you have filled the container.
4) Place into the freezer till it has set.
5) Enjoy :D

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...