Search This Blog

Thursday 25 October 2012

Self Sufficiency

Lately I have been thinking about self sufficiency. The way the world is going, you are going to go to the supermarket and buy ten items and it is going to cost $100. Also we don't know what is going into our food. They say it is all on the labels, but who really understands everything they put onto the labels.
It is much better and healthier to start producing our own foods and growing our own vegetables before we lose these arts and become totally screwed if we need them. Kids need to understand where their food comes from and what their food is. 

So back on track, self sufficiency. As you know my brilliant readers, I have started my veggie garden again. I have capsicum, tomatoes, zucchini, sweet basil, lemon balm, brussel sprouts and potatoes all planted. I have various sproutlings coming up and I am going to start a new patch for my pumpkins. 




This week I experimented with some lemons and made lemon cordial. I don't think I put enough lemons in it though.. It was very sweet. My next project was homemade yogurt! I found a recipe here at Down To Earth. It is fairly simple and you don't need fancy jars and containers. Now, I didn't follow the recipe to the tee and my yogurt turned out a bit runnier than I usually like it. It taste nice though. I am going to make it into a cheese and also freeze a bit of it to make frozen yogurt.


What things do you do for self sufficiency? Do you have a veggie garden? make your own produce? I love to make jams and food stuffs and I can't wait to harvest my veggie garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...